Monday, 24 May 2010

Cannes 2010: Apichatpong Weerasethakul Wins Palme d'Or and Mahamat Saleh Haroun Wins Jury Prize


Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul won the prestigious Palme d'Or at Cannes 2010.
Concerning the award, Tim Burton, president of the jury, commented: “The world is getting smaller and more westernised, more Hollywood-ised and this is a film where I felt I was watching from another country. It was using fantasy elements but in a way I'd never seen before so I just felt it was like a beautiful, strange dream."
Accepting the Palm d'Or, Weerasethakul said: "I would like to thank all the spirits and all the ghosts in Thailand who made it possible for me to be here."

In 2008, ART for The World had the pleasure to work with Apichatpong Weerasethakul. He shooted Mobile Men, one of 22 short-movies from the long-feature film Stories on Human Rights, in honor of the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

 Film Still from Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

 


Un homme qui crie (A Screaming Man) by Mahamat Saleh Haroun won the Jury Prize.  
"I come from a country where little exists," said Haroun on receiving his prize. "In this desert-like context I learnt one thing: you have to make films the way you'd prepare dishes for the people you love." 
The Chadian director is going to shoot a short-film produced by ART for The World for the long-film THEN AND NOW Beyond Borders and Differences. 

 Film still from Un homme qui crie

3 comments:

  1. I try to watch this event all the years, well you know I'm a great fan of the anime and almost all the year, during this event almost is show and awarded one or two movies of this genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great website, looks very clean and organized. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting! although I have no expert, but I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.

    ReplyDelete