Monday, 15 December 2008

Eritrea: Stories on Human Rights in Asmara

Dear colleagues,



The first presentation of the film "Stories on Human Rights" in Asmara took place yesterday and - as I write - a new screening is taking place and will be followed by five more screenings until Saturday. The event was a success.


"Glass Ceiling" by Teresa Serrano and "A Boy, a Wall and a Donkey" by the Palestinian filmmaker Abu-Assad were absolute hits, but especially the Eritrean public liked a lot the short on the border crossing by "purples" and "yellows" ("What about me?" by Keret/Geffen) and the one with the old ladies on participation ("Participation" by Jasmila Zbanic), which I find quite telling. The main objective of the event, which was for me to get people to think and to discuss was fully achieved, with people staying until late in the night in the cinema hall to debate.


The event was opened by my speech and by the statement of the UN Secretary General read by the local UN Resident Representative.


When we meet, I hope to be ale to tell you more about this "adventure".



Paola Amadei
Head of Delegation
European Commission - Eritrea


No comments:

Post a Comment